Monday, March 07, 2011

Atigah Karnaf


The Effects of Smoking on Families

The subject of the effects of smoking on families is very important because the smoker directly and indirectly affects on his or her family. As future U.S. college students, my research partner, Alya Alazie , Hussam Alsaed, Majed Almarzuqi and I wanted to investigate what people in southern Illinois and what students at Southern Illinois University Carbondale thought about the topic. We formulated the hypothesis, “Americans believe families members are the first the first people who get cigarette harm”. We created a survey because we were curious to know the answers of our questions. For example, what people think about the harm of smokers who play with their children? It comes down to the Americans believe: families members are the first are people who get cigarette harm.

My partners and I found similar results to our topic. However, there were almost few individuals in our study believed that the smoking is danger on families members. In the following report, I will show the method that was used to do the survey, the results of the project, and then supply a discussion of the data and analyze why perhaps the respondents answers the way they did. Through this analysis, we will see that the overwhelming majority of people do actually believe that smoking is very dangerous on anybody who smoke and his or her family.

During the analysis of the survey result, I found that most Americans agree with my hypothesis. They believed that other people who smoke cigarettes are harmful to their families. Smoking must not an allowed in their home. On the other hand, I found that there are 16 people out of 47 who said that smoking could be allowed anywhere in their home. It is interesting because they know that smoking is harmful for them and their family, but they do not care about it.
The article, “Smoking, Secondhand Smoke and our Health,” by June M.Lay, supports my hypothesis. This article shows the size of dangerous smoking and the positive reason to smokers quit.
The most successful thing in the survey is my idea to make simple and easy questions. When I surveyed people they answered my questions at 1 minute because most of them were busy. They were walking in the street or working on the computer. Also, our topic is familiar to all people (young, adult). Moreover, I asked people face to face because I wanted to make more American friends and to notice the people’s reaction. One of my participants said to me: thanks for making simple questions that is very helpful for me. I learned many things form this survey. For instance, how can chose the survey questions, how can make graphics and how can analyze the date from my result.
However, I suggest that students who will choose a topic similar to my hypothesis to decide carefully their participants. For example, if you have 40 paper you may ask 20 male and 20 female to do balance between the answers. Also, you may ask different ages, marital status and occupation. That Gender allowed you get great percent from your survey. Moreover, try to find one who free to ask because you have to practices all your English skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home